Saturday, November 3, 2007

Dear Dr. Alonso

The following is a draft of a letter sent to the CEO of Baltimore City schools (after some career considerations, I've decided to omit my school name from the blog. I left it on in the message I actually send to Alonso):

11/2/07


Dear Dr. Alonso,


I write to you today as someone deeply committed to the cause of social and educational justice with a question, “Why should I stay and teach here in Baltimore City?”

I will spare you all the details of my journey from the West Coast (I grew up in Seattle and went to school at Reed College in Portland, OR and grad school at the Stanford School of Education) to teach in Baltimore City. Suffice it to say, I came here knowing that urban schools are where I wanted to make a career and Baltimore was certainly a city which really (REALLY) needed committed teachers. Now, three years in as a Baltimore City middle school teacher, my commitments to city youth have not wavered, in fact, only deepened.

But, these days, I so (SOOOOO) want to go. Not because of the kids. Sure, they are tough and stress me out mainly because I know even with all the work I’ve done there is still so much I must do if I am going to do right by them. I bust my butt to do a better job for them. Problem is so much of my job is not for them. Worst still, most of that job is in too often maddening, insulting, and painful. Having come to feel so deeply for the cause of these kids’ lives, I can not help but feel that my energies can be better spent elsewhere.

Why should I stay a teacher in Baltimore City, Dr. Alonso, with a principal and vice principal who seem intent to cover for their incompetence and corruption by sabotaging the best efforts of their teachers? One of the best young teachers at our school (she started with me) works tirelessly for her 8th grade students, and not only are her efforts unsupported, they are undermined at almost every turn. When she stays with her class because coverage has not shown up, she is threatened with write-ups upon arriving late to pointless meetings. She is bad mouthed to her colleagues and reprimanded (in a memo carbon copied to the Area Office) for starting Terra Nova testing a few minutes late because the breakfast she was providing her students went a bit long. She is not the only hard working teacher at our school subjected to such abuse. The administration does this, I think, so that when Glenmount fails to make AYP this year they can shift the blame to their staff (having been set up to fail). See, not our fault, look at what we’re working with.

I have been spared such explicit abuse. But, three years in as a middle school teacher in Baltimore City I am teaching my third different age group (first 7th, then 8th, now 6th) and this year I am being used to teach Language Arts even though I am certified to teach Social Studies. Worse still, the administration has never been in my classroom (unless you count the two times the AP came in to ask me to go turn off the air conditioner in her office) to observe yet alone provide assistance as I try to put together a 6th grade language arts class I am not qualified to teach. I was offered a 10th grade American Government position at Patterson this past spring, but my move was impeded, and now I teach a subject I should not be teaching to an age group my graduate education was not geared toward (My curricular work at Stanford focused on high school). I could have had my pick of schools if I applied to jobs in other cities (pursuing my commitments to educational equity elsewhere), but I stayed here and as a result I feel my development and growth as an educator has been stunted. I am not the only young, educated, committed teacher here in this city who feels this way. I wonder what is being done to make BCPSS a more hospitable place for dynamic teachers to stay and work. We are tired of being set up to fail. So, what should keep us here?

I apologize this has gone a bit too long and perhaps reads a bit rambling at points. I thank you for your reading. I saw you speak as part of the NLCB panel at the Baltimore Book Festival and I left feeling quite certain you came here for the right reasons. (Perhaps, reasons similar to mine.) I was quite impressed to hear your insistences that every decision you make will be for the youth that populate Baltimore schools. You bring, I think, a refreshing bluntness that has yet to be offered up until now—perhaps, providing me some impetus to stay. I know you are busy, but I look forward to any response you might be able to shoot my way in your very limited time. Thank you for your attention.


Sincerely,

**********

***************

9 comments:

Eric said...

That's a bold letter, especially as you seem to include your real name and school. I think the only legitimate answer is that the kids deserve teachers like you. I too am a Reed graduate working in education in Baltimore, and have often asked myself similar questions. I think the fact that you have drafted this letter indicates that you have at least some hope that the new CEO may change the system. I've met him twice now, and at the last meeting he mentioned his plan for bringing more autonomy to schools. I thought he made an interesting point: when teachers close their doors, they do have a fair degree of autonomy. So you stay because you believe that behind your classroom door you can make some kind of a difference in the lives of your students.

emily said...

Please send it. As a parent, who plans to enroll their child in a baltimore city elementary school next year we NEED teachers like you. I have visited some wonderful schools the last 2 weeks, and most are wonderful due to the amazing principals they have. All schools deserve the same.

epiphanyinbmore said...

This is an important and gutsy letter, please send it.

Please stay; we need teachers like you in the system. There are also places in the system where your expertise and commitment will be valued more than it seems like they are now.

Amy said...

While it seems small to point out in the grand scheme of everything else you mentioned, not only are you out of you content area, but as a secondary certified teacher, you are only highly qualified for 7-12, not 6th.

Retention of teachers has to be a top priority for Alonso - to stop the flood of amazing folks who leave each year. I hear the same thing as you wrote, that it is almost never due to issues related to students, but much more often due to adults who actively get in the way.

Teacher said...

Wow...I am not bold enough to post my name and school, but your situation resembles mine. I am a secondary Social Studies teacher, but teach language arts. Last year I taught 6,7,8 social studies AND language arts. I was forced to work an extended school day with no extra pay. In addition, my principal had an irrational fascination with trying to "get me." I am not at that school, thank goodness. This is my 5th year as a city teacher and I love it for some reason. I love being in the room with my students, growing and learning together. It is difficult, but like you, I am highly committed to being here for them academically, helping them learn how to think and to improve their citizenship. I don't like that Baltimore City teachers get taken advantage of and abused by administrators daily. Not all of them, but enough that stories are in abundance. I hate to say it, but our union does not do an adequate job of protecting and standing up for our students.

urbanmadness said...

Excellent letter.

I enjoy your blog and would like to invite you to become a member of an online teacher forum. I think you would have a lot to contribute. You can access it by going to www.baltimoreteachersunited.com They will ask you for a referral. Just tell them urbanmadness sent you! I'm not sure how active they'll be during vacation, so you may not hear from them right away. Hope to see you there!

BCityTeacher said...

Hi,
I'm wondering if you ever heard back from Dr. Alonso? I'm getting ready to write a letter too and I wonder if he responds.
BaltTeacher

Alex said...

Hi Sallee

I just wanted to make sure that you were invited to our education "Blogger Summit". We hope you can make it and feel free to share this invitation with any other bloggers in the area that might be interested. The invitation is attached below.

Alex
ED In '08 Blogger Summit

--------------------------------

Strong American Schools is excited to announce the ED in '08 Blogger Summit. Conference details are as follows:

May 14th - 15th
Palomar Hotel, Washington DC
Registration is Free!

An opening reception is scheduled on the evening of Wednesday, May 14th. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres will be served before the screening of a new documentary film on education, Two Million Minutes. A Q&A session with the filmmakers is set to follow.

Then join us for an all-day conference on May 15th. Nowhere else will you have an opportunity to meet and network with fellow education bloggers, participate in panels, attend workshops, and help tackle some tough questions on the state of education in America.

Space is limited, so be sure to RSVP today!

Register at http://edin08.com/bloggersummit/

Al Alias said...

By virtue of not being a educator, nor having school-age children, and not being a resident of Baltimore (or even Maryland), but having stumbled across your blog while looking for something completely unrelated, I proclaim my authority to speak for all the unbathed masses:

Thank you.